Thursday, January 14, 2016

Chapter 0




Stygiophilia

BY

Nathan Tyree








©2008 Nathan Tyree






































This is not

For You















































Chapter 0


            Will you please just shut the fuck up please. Really, just be quiet and go to sleep. I know you wanna talk, but I'm tired and I need to sleep, okay? If I don't get to sleep I'm not gonna get to work in the morning and I'm about to be fired anyway, right? So please just go to sleep.

            Does that sound like desperation in my voice? Maybe it does. I can't seem to make myself care if she thinks that it is.  Maybe it's pleading or maybe it's anger she hears. Whatever it is I just want her to shut the fuck up and let me sleep. Five minutes ago she was on top of me; grinding her crotch into me and grinding me into her crotch. She was making yelping noises like you’d expect to hear from one of those ugly little dogs that rich bitches pack in their purses and breathing like she was on the verge of a minor stroke or something and it couldn't have been better. She was wet and hot and tight and fucking like this was her last fuck. Now she wants to talk; to ask about if we're going to go on dates and where is this going and do I have a girlfriend and all I want is to collapse into  coma. I've known this girl for all of six hours (I think her name is Julie or something) and I'm tired of her already. To tell the truth,  I was tired of her as soon as I came. I guess that’s always the problem. I meet some girl at a bar or a party or the zoo; I want to come inside her; she wants happiness and love and adoration or some such horse shit bred into her brain by TV and Barbie dolls. The whole thing drives me nuts. You see, I’ll make sure she gets off; I’ll sleep in the wet spot on the sheets; Jesus, I’ll even call her in a couple of days to see if she wants to get laid again; but I will not have these stupid fucking middle of the night conversations with some one who is, really, just an orifice to me. I don’t love and I don’t want to. 

            So I’m just about to finally drift when she says Will you go to the craft show with me? and I almost explode. I’m thinking that maybe If I do myself an injury it’ll give her a hint. Maybe I could do my cigarette trick. I haven’t done that one in a long time. You haven’t heard of the cigarette trick? Oh, it’s a good one. I learned it a few years ago when I was in one of those phases. You know. See, the thing with punching yourself is, you always hold back. Even if you don’t want to. When your fist comes at your own face you hesitate and tense up. No matter how badly you want it, your fists just will not inflict the destruction on your face that they reserve for the faces of others.

            I toyed around with cutting myself. I really considered it. It’s become quite the fad among teenage girls these days and I figured if it’s good enough for little Judy the cheerleader that blows all her daddy’s golf buddies and Suzy the class whore then it must be good enough for me. The problem is the mess. Blood gets everywhere. It soaks in to fabrics and upholstery. I’m no Heloise, but here’s a household hint: protein stains are a bitch to get out. Blood and semen are the worst. If it weren’t for Oxy-Clean every cheerleader on the planet would be shit out of luck.

            So I gave up on the cutting. I kind of fell into the other, the better thing,  really. Late one night, having stumbled in from the narcotic streets and forced to explain myself to Susan (I had been living with Susan for almost three months and if I had had any sense I never would have let myself get that far) I collapsed on the floor next to the bed and lit a cigarette.

            Where the hell have you been was what she asked. ‘Who have you been fucking’ was what she meant. I couldn’t take it. Since I had agreed to move into her apartment we had fallen into more of these conversations than I could stand and this one was just too much. Since this is, as much as anything, a confession, I suppose that I should admit that I had fucked another girl that night. I had banged this big titted blonde in the bathroom of a club. She was kind of heavy and smelled like vanilla and wild flowers. I had led her into the men’s room by the hand and she had started sucking my cock almost instantly; then I fucked her from behind while she pressed her palms against the sink. It wasn’t that I found her all that attractive. She was just available.

            Whatever. I really didn’t want to get into all of that with Susan and the cigarette was already in my hand. I could hear the whine in her voice and I wanted it to stop. She was looking right at me. I touched the tip of the cigarette to the flesh of my forearm. White hot agony shot like sweet heroin through my flesh and I felt the instant blister bubble beneath the surface.      
 Cockfuckershitgodkillerfuckassmotherjesusfuckfuckcuntfuckingcunt was what I thought. If I had a dirty mind it would have been worse. I heard her gasp the way bad actors on soap operas do. That gave me the cajones to go on. What I’ve learned since then is this: you have to do it quickly. You have to jab the red hot cherry tip of the Lucky Strike into your skin without hesitation. It sears. It burns like hell must burn, but it feels good too. When my skin is on fire I feel something that I almost never feel: alive. Most days I’m a straw stuffed headpiece; an empty dead skin sack; an empty space where a man used to stand. With a lit cigarette ripping a hole in me that will take weeks to heal and will leave a permanent scar I’m a man again. 

            So I’m thinking about playing that game again. I’ve done it a few times now and it always feels extraordinary. The weird part is this: every time I burn myself, I get really hard. My arm or my leg will be on fire, but my cock will be swollen in my pants to the point of exploding. You ever try to jerk off with a wounded arm? It aint easy. You don’t want to even consider what it’s like to accidentally get come in an open burn wound. Remember what I said about protein stains? 

            I’m still wondering if I should light a cigarette when I realize that she’s asleep. She’s lying there flat on her stomach, naked and slick with a sheen of sweat coating her skin.  Her ass is round and firm and for a minute I start to think about fucking her again but sleep is the more imperative concern so I roll on my side and drift off. 

            When I wake she's gone. That's for the best, really. If she was still here I'd have to deal with getting rid of her and that can become lugubrious at best.  I lay in bed for a few minutes wondering if I should get up and go to work or not. Finally I decide that I better. So I roll out of bed and head across the apartment. In the kitchen I flip the switch on the coffee maker so it can start brewing. My tongue feels thick and seems to be coated with something viscous and very unpleasant. On the way to the bathroom I open the door to the spare bedroom so that Quetzalcoatl can roam the place while I'm gone. I only lock him up when I have company. A snake-bird-demon-god-south-American-pet-thing is hard to explain.

            While I'm brushing my teeth Quetzal beats his cold wings against the stale air and coils his small snake body around my ankle. I shake him off and try to concentrate on not gagging myself with the tooth brush.

            The stubble on my face isn’t thick enough to force me to shave, so I take a piss, wash my hands and stumble zombie like to the bedroom to look for something that can pass for clean in the laundry pile next to my bed. I settle on a ripped pair of jeans and a T-Shirt bearing the logo of a band I haven’t liked since I was fifteen. Quetzal follows me around like he expects something important.

            Once I get my shoes tied I open the freezer and take out a few dead rats from the Chinese food box hidden behind the ice cube trays. He takes the rats from my hand and slither flies off to enjoy his meal. That taken care of I head to work.

            My car, a 1986 Plymouth Duster that’s more rust and Bond-O than actual car, starts on the first attempt, which surprises the hell out of me. Most mornings I have to fuck with it for twenty minutes just to get the engine going. I pull into traffic and go.

            When I get to DNA Electronics I have to walk up the back stairs to the employee lounge to get my green vest that we're all forced to wear and clock in. Pounding up the stairs my lungs are telling me that I really need to quit smoking. I ignore them. Fuck my lungs; what have they done for me lately, right?

            DNA sells TVs and stereos and computer equipment. They make most of their money on small items like DVDs and CDs and video games which are the items I sell.  I get paid a slave wage by the hour. There's no commission so I don't try too hard.

            Les is slumped at the round table where we eat our lunches. As I come in he lifts his red ringed eyes to look at me through a hangover blur that I can read in the tilt of his shoulders.

            Rough night? I ask. Les makes an indistinct moan in way of reply then drops his head forward and sinks behind half lidded eyes. Man, you gotta take it easy. Keep drinking like that and you’re gonna die young.

            He lifts his balled fist and extends the middle finger upward. Get fucked Mormon he says with something like a smile.

            I get my smock and head back down the stairs to start the day. Mr. Firth is watching me when I hit the sales floor. He catches me with clouded eyes, then taps his watch meaningfully. Yeah yeah I’m late. I know. Again. I wish he’d just let me alone. I don’t acknowledge his look. Instead I just slide past him and position myself in front of the DVD new releases.

            Nobody wants help finding a movie. Most days I wish that some one would ask my advice on, say, the best comedy (Duck Soup) or the scariest horror movie (Halloween) or the best suspense movie (A Touch of Evil) but no one ever does. The tedium is a killer. I fight back the urge to scream at people buying Adam Sandler movies. I want to slap them and scream HAVE YOU EVEN HEARD OF BUSTER KEATON? in their vapid little faces. I don’t, though. I killed someone once. That was a long time ago, though.

            About halfway through my shift five teenage girls swirl into the store and make their way right to the horror movies. They are a dervish of giggles and budding sexuality clothed in the scent of bubble gum and I can’t help getting closer to them. I can smell their sweet soaps and trendy perfume and mostly I can smell their warm skin.

            I ask if I can help them find anything and one says no thanks. I see that they’ve latched on to the insipid re-make of House of Wax and I can’t help saying You don’t want that crap.

            We don’t? asks the tallest of the girls.

            Not if you want to be scared.

            Then what do we want? There’s a hint of flirting, a veiled come on, in her voice and her eyes shimmer like a wave of fireflies. I can feel my heart rate jump up a bit and I say:

            Try this as I hand her a DVD of Romero’s Dawn of the Dead. It’ll scare the pants off you I finish.

            Do you want my pants scared off? Okay, that’s way past hinting. This kid is genuinely coming on to me. I gotta tell you the truth, I’m really considering it. I’d tear this baby up. But... shit, she can’t be more than fifteen. Sixteen at the outside. I’m twenty-five, so sixteen could get me eight to ten.

            You and your friends will like this movie. Trust me. I’m older, I know what I’m talking about. With that I extricate myself from the situation and wander toward the bargain movie section. Bargain movies are things that the store hasn’t been able to sell. They slash the prices and put them under a big sign. People flock to buy movies they don’t want when they’re cheap. I have to admit that I turn to watch her walk away. Her hips sway with a sweet rhythm and her bottom is round and firm in a way that could drive a man to drink. I try to just let it go and pretend that I have important work to do.

            A  few minutes later I see the girls checking out. They took the zombie movie. I feel vindicated. I’m starting to think that today hasn’t been a waste after all. Maybe work can be rewarding.





No comments:

Post a Comment